A hot cup of mocha cloud macchiato is easier to make at home than you think. All you need is cocoa powder, espresso, and hot milk. If you’re looking for a coffee-chocolate mix topped with a heap of hot foam, this is the drink for you.
What This Article Covers:
What Is a Mocha Cloud Macchiato?
A mocha combines coffee or espresso, milk, and chocolate. A macchiato is a shot of espresso with a small amount of milk and foam. In Italian, “caffè macchiato” means “stained coffee”.
The difference between mocha and macchiato is in chocolate and milky goodness. The drink on our table today combines the classic macchiato with the popular mocha cloud. This recipe puts the majority of the milk in the thick cloud of foam on top.
This drink is simple to make, but using the right coffee can completely change the experience. It’s a great jumping-off point for trying your hand at more complex and elaborate drinks, like our favorite iced hazelnut mocha coconut milk macchiato recipe.
Mocha Cloud Macchiato Recipe
Coffee or espresso maker: Whether you prefer plunger coffee, pour-over, ground, or steamed. As long as you get your perfect cup of coffee, it will work for this recipe.
Milk frother: A handheld stick frother works best for this drink. A stick frother gives you the perfect amount of control over how fluffy your foam is.
A large mug: You can use a smaller mug, but this drink is going to be so delicious you might regret it.
Teaspoon: This is self-explanatory. You won’t get very far in this process without a spoon.
- ⅓ cup of coffee or espresso. You can pick any roast you prefer, however, Lifeboost’s delicious medium roast coffee beans are the perfect base for this recipe.
- 1–1.5 teaspoons of cocoa powder. When cocoa powder is mixed with coffee, it creates a bitter, nutty taste. This is a great variation on your regular cuppa.
- 1/6 cup of hot milk. You can heat your milk in the microwave or on the stove.
- ½ cup of frothed milk. You can use any milk you like, but be aware that different kinds of milk steam at different temperatures. For example, almond milk steams at 270 degrees Fahrenheit. Cow’s milk steams at 300.
- Sweetener of your choice.
- Chocolate sprinkles. This is optional, but it adds both an extra chocolaty kick and makes your drink much more pleasing to look at.
- Make your preferred coffee or espresso.
- While your coffee brews, heat the milk.
- Pour your coffee into a large mug.
- Stir in one teaspoon of cocoa powder. If you prefer a stronger chocolate taste, you can add more. Another option is to switch the cocoa powder to white chocolate syrup to create a white mocha macchiato.
- Add ¼ of your hot milk to your coffee-chocolate mixture.
- Before the milk cools down, use a milk frother to get the perfect fluffy foam.
- If you want to add something special, you can top your foam with chocolate sprinkles.
Mocha Cloud Macchiato Variations
There are a few fun ways to switch up your mocha cloud macchiato. You can experiment by using our flavored coffee beans.
If you’re looking for something a little sweeter, you can try a white chocolate mocha or caramel mocha macchiato to get a drink that’s truly out of this world.
A tot of caramel syrup transforms your mocha cloud macchiato into a sweet caramel mocha macchiato. If you add syrup, consider foregoing extra sweetener. Too much sweetness can ruin the bitterness of the coffee.
Add a generous amount of crushed ice to transform your hot drink into an iced mocha cloud macchiato.
To cut out an extra step in the process, you can use Lifeboost’s double dark mocha beans.
Did you find our blog helpful? Then consider checking:
- Cinnamon Cloud Macchiato
- Cocoa Cloud Macchiato Recipe
- Iced Caramel Macchiato with Cold Foam
- Iced Hazelnut Macchiato
- Caramel Macchiato Ice Cream
- How to Drink a Macchiato
- Caramel Macchiato Recipe
- Flat White vs Macchiato
- Iced Vanilla Latte vs Iced Caramel Macchiato
- Caramel Macchiato Frappuccino Recipe
- Iced Coconut Milk Mocha Macchiato
- Frozen Caramel Macchiato
- Caramel Macchiato Banana Bread
- Caramel Macchiato Cookies
- Caramel Macchiato Cake